Did you know today is National Holistic Pet Day? If not, you’re not alone. Ninety percent of the more than 700 pet owners Halo, Purely for Pets natural pet food surveyed hadn’t either! And Halo wants to change that.
HALO believes this is the perfect opportunity to celebrate and promote all the things we do (or should do) to take care of our pets’ bodies, minds and souls and how we live within the context of our broader pet community.
Dr. Donna Spector, HALO’s consulting vet and frequent guest on the Ellen Show, offers 10 ways to celebrate National Holistic Pet Day – from feeding an all natural food to regular dental care, to living chemical free.
National Holistic Pet Day was founded by Colleen Paige of the Animal Miracle Foundation and Network and Halo plans to help Colleen lead the charge in raising awareness on this important day and throughout the year.
Halo surveyed 700 pet parents to find out what they do to live holistically with their pet and what they’d like to do. Out of these 700 respondents, 74.8% have dogs and 57.7% have cats:
- 78.7% of pet owners surveyed exercise their pets regularly
- 2.1% take their dog for Doga (Dog+Yoga!)
- 26.2% learn about holistic living at their local pet food or natural food store
- 59.5% use non-toxic household products
- 48.9% use natural supplements for skin, coat or digestive care
- 43.7% take their pets for regular dental check ups
- 54.8% play mind stimulating activities and games with their pets
- 5.7% take their pets for acupuncture
- 44.8% help a local rescue or shelter
- 47.6% use all natural shampoo and grooming products
Here’s what these passionate pet parents plan to do to celebrate National Holistic Pet Day:
- 38.1% plan to switch to all natural pet food
- 57.9% committed to getting their pet regular exercise
- 13.1% would like to try Doga
- 33.8% will visit their local pet food or natural food store to learn more
- 50.7% plan to start avoiding ingredients prohibited for humans (such as chicken meal)
- 38.5% plan to switch to non-toxic household products
- 42.5 would like to try mind-stimulating games with their dog and/or cat
- 8% would like to try acupuncture
- 31.2% will switch to an all-natural shampoo or grooming product
How will you celebrate?